A Protein-Packed Delight
Welcome to a pizza lover’s paradise! If you’ve ever craved a slice of pizza that not only satisfies your taste buds but also gives you a whopping 48g of protein, you’re in for a treat. In this culinary adventure, we’re diving into the world of Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza – a mouthwatering masterpiece that’s quick, easy, and oh-so-delicious.
Imagine a crispy, airy crust enveloping a hidden treasure of gooey mozzarella, all topped with a garlicky pasta sauce, fragrant basil, and a hint of heat from red crushed pepper.
This is no ordinary pizza; it’s a protein-packed delight that’s sure to become a new favorite in your meal rotation. And the best part? It takes less than 30 minutes to make. So, let’s roll up our sleeves and embark on a pizza journey like no other!
Macros Per Serving
427 Calories | 53g Carbs | 4g Fat | 48g Protein
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Protein-Packed Perfection: With almost 50g of protein per serving, this Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza is a protein powerhouse. It’s an excellent choice for those looking to increase their protein intake in a delicious and satisfying way.
- Quick and Easy: In under 30 minutes, you can have a homemade pizza ready to devour. Perfect for busy weeknights when you want a tasty meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
- Stuffed Crust Surprise: The innovative addition of cubed mozzarella to the crust creates a delightful surprise in every bite. Experience the joy of a cheesy explosion as you indulge in the stuffed crust goodness.
- Customizable Toppings: While the recipe provides a classic Margherita setup, feel free to get creative with additional toppings. Add your favorite veggies or experiment with different cheeses to personalize your pizza to perfection.
Key Ingredients for the Tastiest Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza
Let’s delve deeper into the key ingredients that make this Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza a delightful and protein-packed culinary experience:
- Self-Rising Flour: This flour forms the foundation of our pizza crust, providing that perfect balance of chewiness and crispiness. The self-rising variety ensures that the dough rises beautifully as it bakes, creating an airy, golden crust.
- Unflavored Protein Powder: This unexpected hero not only enhances the protein content but also contributes to the dough’s texture, making it both soft and hearty.
- Nonfat Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt adds a delightful creaminess to the dough while contributing a significant protein punch. It’s the secret ingredient that ensures our pizza dough is both protein-rich and irresistibly tender.
- Pinch of Salt: A touch of salt enhances the flavors in the dough, creating a well-balanced foundation.
- Sprinkle of Italian Seasoning: Italian seasoning adds a burst of aromatic herbs to our pizza, infusing each bite with the flavors of Italy.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder gives the dough an extra lift, resulting in a crust that’s light and airy.
- Fat-Free Mozzarella Block: This is where the “stuffed crust” magic happens. Cubes of fat-free mozzarella are tucked into the edges of the dough, creating a gooey, cheese-filled surprise in every bite.
- Garlic Pasta Sauce: The garlic pasta sauce provides a rich and savory base for your pizza, infusing it with a robust, garlicky aroma.
- Fat-Free Shredded Mozzarella: Additional mozzarella on top ensures that your pizza has that classic, delicious cheesy layer.
- Fresh Basil The fragrant fresh basil adds a burst of herbal freshness, providing the signature Margherita pizza flavor.
- Red Crushed Pepper: For those who enjoy a hint of spice, red crushed pepper brings a touch of heat to your pizza, complementing the cheese and sauce beautifully.
Here are some versatile substitution options to customize your Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza:
- Dough Flour: While the recipe calls for self-rising flour, you can explore different flour types to suit your dietary preferences. Whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour blends work well as alternatives.
- Protein Powder: If unflavored protein powder is not available, you can omit it without compromising the pizza’s taste. Just substitute it with an equal portion of flour. The Greek yogurt already contributes a substantial amount of protein.
- Toppings: Feel free to get creative with your toppings. Add sliced tomatoes, olives, or even some sautéed vegetables for a personalized twist on your pizza.
- Fat-Free Mozzarella: If you prefer a slight increase in flavor and creaminess while still watching your fat intake, consider using part-skim mozzarella cheese. It will provide a similar meltability and cheesy goodness without being entirely fat-free. You can definitely also use your favorite vegan cheese for a dairy-free option! Remember that the choice of cheese will impact the flavor, texture, and nutritional content of your pizza, so select the one that aligns best with your dietary preferences and taste preferences.
**If there is a sub I haven’t mentioned above, it’s because I have not tested it and can’t speak for how well it would work for this recipe.
Equipment and Tools
Now that we’ve discussed the ingredients and substitutions, let’s ensure you have the right equipment and tools for the job. To create this delectable Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza, you’ll need these essential equipment and tools:
- Large Mixing Bowl: This is where the magic begins. It’s where you’ll mix and knead your dough until it reaches the perfect consistency.
- Toaster Oven: Your oven will be the final destination for your pizza, baking it to perfection.
- Rolling Pin: A rolling pin ensures that your pizza dough is evenly flattened into a circle, ready to be filled and baked.
- Measuring Scale: I prefer to use a scale to weigh out all the larger ingredients for a more precise measurement.
- Baking Sheet or Pizza Stone: You’ll need a baking sheet or pizza stone to accommodate your pizza and achieve that ideal, crispy crust.
How to Make Your Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza
Now, let’s take a more detailed journey through the steps to create this protein-packed Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza:
Mixing the Dough Ingredients
In your large mixing bowl, combine the self-rising flour, unflavored protein powder, nonfat Greek yogurt, a pinch of salt, Italian seasoning, and baking powder.
This combination results in a dough that’s not only protein-rich but also exceptionally tender.
Kneading the Dough
Use your spoon to initially mix the ingredients, and then get your hands in there. Knead the dough on a floured surface until it transforms into a beautifully elastic and workable dough. Roll it out into a circle, ensuring an even thickness.
Creating the Stuffed Crust
Take your cubed mozzarella and arrange it around the edges of the dough. The magic of this pizza lies in the stuffed crust, where each bite surprises with a cheesy delight.
Saucing and Topping
Spread your chosen garlic pasta sauce evenly within the dough’s border, and then generously sprinkle the fat-free shredded mozzarella on top, creating the signature Margherita combination of flavors.
Preheat your oven to 350°F, and then let your pizza bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is a tempting golden brown, and the cheese is gloriously bubbly.
As soon as your pizza emerges from the oven, add a final flourish by sprinkling freshly chopped basil and red crushed pepper over the top.
Slice and Savor
Cut your Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza into quarters, and you’re ready to savor every flavorful bite.
This recipe promises a delightful culinary adventure, combining protein-rich dough, savory toppings, and the classic charm of Margherita pizza. Enjoy a quick, hearty meal that’s not just satisfying but also packed with protein. Bon appétit!
Tips and Tricks
- Precision in Dough Preparation: When preparing the dough, be precise with your measurements, especially for the self-rising flour and unflavored protein powder. This ensures the right texture and consistency for your pizza crust.
- Flour for Dusting: When kneading and rolling out the dough, use a small amount of flour for dusting. This prevents the dough from sticking to your hands or the surface, making the process smoother.
- Even Thickness: Roll out the dough to a consistent thickness to ensure even baking. An evenly rolled crust results in a well-balanced texture throughout the pizza.
- Monitor Baking Time: Keep a close eye on the pizza during the last few minutes of baking to prevent overcooking. The goal is a golden-brown crust and bubbly, melted cheese.
Remember, cooking is an art, and these tips and tricks are meant to guide you toward creating the perfect Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza tailored to your preferences. Enjoy the process and savor every delicious bite!
To keep your Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza fresh and enjoyable for later, here are some storage instructions:
- Refrigeration: If you have leftovers, promptly store them in the refrigerator. Place individual slices or the entire pizza in an airtight container to maintain freshness. Refrigeration helps to slow down the growth of bacteria and preserves the quality of the pizza.
- Cool Before Storing: Allow the pizza to cool to room temperature before placing it in the refrigerator. Putting hot pizza directly into the fridge can create condensation, potentially affecting the crust’s texture.
- Wrap Well: For individual slices or the entire pizza, wrap them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before placing them in the container. This additional layer helps prevent moisture from reaching the pizza, preserving its crispiness.
- Freezing Option: If you want to store the pizza for an extended period, freezing is an excellent option. Wrap individual slices or the whole pizza in plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container. Remember to label with the date.
- Thawing Before Reheating: When ready to enjoy your frozen pizza, transfer it from the freezer to the refrigerator and allow it to thaw overnight. This gradual thawing helps maintain the pizza’s texture.
- Reheating Instructions: For reheating, use an oven or toaster oven for the best results. Preheat the oven to around 350°F and warm the pizza for about 10-15 minutes, or until it reaches your desired temperature. This method helps to retain the crispiness of the crust.
- Avoid Microwaving: While it’s quick, microwaving can make the crust soggy. If you’re short on time, the microwave is an option, but the oven or toaster oven generally provides better results.
By following these storage instructions, you can ensure that your Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza remains delicious and satisfying, whether you’re enjoying it the next day or weeks later.
More Lunch/Dinner Recipes
If you loved this dish, then you are sure to LOVE these recipes as well! Or if something about this recipe doesn’t excite you, I’m sure one of these will.
- High-Protein Teriyaki Wild Rice Power Bowl
- Spicy Sesame Vegan Beef Veggie Stir Fry
- Veggie Quinoa Fried Rice
- Sticky Orange Cashew Tofu + Coconut Rice
As you embark on your journey to create and enjoy our Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal Meal Prep, you might have some questions. We’re here to provide you with answers to common queries that could arise:
Can I use a different type of flour for the dough?
Absolutely! You can experiment with different flours, including whole wheat or gluten-free options to suit your dietary needs.
What can I substitute for the unflavored protein powder?
While the protein powder adds a protein boost, you can omit it if you don’t have it on hand. The Greek yogurt already contributes to the protein content.
How do I store leftovers?
Simply place any leftover slices in an airtight container and refrigerate. Reheat in the oven or microwave for a quick and tasty leftover meal.
In conclusion, this Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza is a delicious, protein-rich twist on a classic favorite. With its crispy crust, gooey cheese, and fragrant basil, it’s sure to satisfy your pizza cravings while keeping your protein intake on track. Give it a try and enjoy a quick, hearty meal that’s perfect for any night of the week. Bon appétit!
Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza
- 58 g Self Rising Flour (plus ~10g for kneading/dusting)
- 16 g Unflavored Protein Powder (Quest)
- 75 g Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Pinch of Salt
- Sprinkle Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 35 g Fat Free Mozzarella Block (cubed (H‑E‑B))
- 45 g Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 28 g Fat Free Shredded Mozzarella (H‑E‑B)
- Fresh Basil (chopped)
- Red Crushed Pepper
- Dough: Add all your ingredients to a large bowl. Start to mix with a spoon and then get in there with your hands. Add to the counter with some flour dusted and continue kneading until a dough forms. Roll it out into a circle.
- Add chunks of your cubed mozzarella around the edge and then fold in the edges. Add pasta sauce to the center and spread evenly. Then top with your shredded mozzarella.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 mins.
- Top with fresh basil and red crushed pepper. Cut into 4ths and enjoy!
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe.
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Measuring Scale
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 Baking Sheet or Pizza Stone
- 1 Toaster Oven
Save this recipe to your Pinterest Board and share it with your family and friends!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to tag @tishasveggieeats on Instagram and hashtag #tishasveggieeats!