These classic lemon shortbread bars get the perfect twist with the addition of fresh yellow mangos, resulting in a tangy and creamy curd filling. Not only are they refined sugar-free, but also dairy-free and gluten-free. Finally, they’re perfectly topped with lemon slices and confectioners sugar. These dessert squares are so easy to make and all you need this summer to brighten up your day!
I admit, when it comes to dessert, I am a die-hard chocolate-only fan. I rarely ever go for fruity desserts. But this shortbread bars recipe had me reaching for seconds every time and was gone in days! The flavors are just so refreshing and I love the combo of mango with lemon. So harmonious.
This shortbread bars recipe is so easy to make and required minimal skill. The mango lemon curd filling is easily prepped in a blender and then shortbread crust is quickly mixed in a bowl and added to the baking dish. All baked together to make the perfect dessert bars.
So go grab some fresh yellow mangos and lemons and get to baking the perfect summer lemon bars!
Ingredients to get the Perfect Shortbread Crust and Creamy Curd Filling
Less than 10 ingredients needed for this recipe and you can easily find them in your home or at your local grocery store! Here is everything you will need to be successful in making this recipe.
- Coconut and Almond Flour: The combo of these two gluten-free nut flours are my favorite for baked good. There are several brands out there and any will work!
- Coconut Oil: A great sub for butter is coconut oil for baked goods. I also love the flavor and natural sweetness coconut adds.
- Honey & Coconut Sugar: Just a hint of natural honey and coconut sugar needed in the shortbread crest and filling to add the perfect amount of sweetness!
- Eggs: Eggs are a key ingredients to get the perfect creamy lemon curd filling and for it to be baked to perfection!
- Mango and Lemon Juice: Obviously the main ingredients needed to make mango lemon shortbread bars! Fresh yellow mangos are my favorite to use and I highly recommend using freshly juiced lemons rather than bottled lemon juice.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract is necessary in any dessert! Who agrees?? A dash goes a long way.
Shocking how plain and simple the ingredients are right?!
Let’s talk about a few substitution options if one of the ingredients isn’t available to you or you prefer something else.
- Coconut Flour: If you don’t have coconut flour, replace it with almond flour! I don’t recommend subbing almond flour for all of coconut flour as coconut flour is a lot denser. I like the combo for optimal flavor but all almond flour works as well.
- Coconut Oil: I wanted this recipe to not contain any butter but if you’re not a fan of coconut, opt for using regular unsalted butter!
- Honey and Coconut Sugar: Replace the sweet ingredients with maple syrup or all honey or all coconut sugar.
**If there is a sub I haven’t mentioned above, it’s because I have not tested it and can’t speak for how well it would work for this recipe.
Equipment and Tools
No super fancy equipment is needed for this recipe and you can totally make do with traditional equipment! Here are some of my suggestions:
- 8×8″ Baking Dish: A square baking dish is perfect for this recipe. It allows for the perfect thickness and ratio of layers.
- Toaster Oven: I definitely prefer using this to bake my desserts instead of heating up my large oven.
- Countertop Blender or Hand Mixer: To perfectly blend up your wet ingredients so no lumps are left behind.
- Flour Sifter: Perfect for getting any large grains out of your flour and ensure it is all nice and fine.
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring tools: 3/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup, 1 tbsp, 1 tsp
How To Make These Mango Lemon Shortbread Bars
Two main steps are needed to get the most delicious lemon bars. We’ll start off by making our shortbread crust and then blending together our ingredients for the filling.
In a large mixing bowl, start off by sifting together 1/2 cup Almond Flour, 1/2 cup Coconut Flour. I like using this sifter because it ensures I get any lumps and large grains of almonds out of my flour!
Then add in the wet ingredients – 1/4 cup Coconut Oil and 3 tbsp of Raw Honey. Mix together until evenly incorporated.
Line an 8″x8″ baking dish with parchment paper and pack down the mixture into the base. Bake at 350° for ~10 minutes or until golden brown. Keep an eye on it so the top doesn’t burn! Remove once done and let it cool.
Meanwhile, let’s prep the mango lemon filling. In a countertop blender, add in 3/4 cups of cubed Mango, 1/2 cup Lemon Juice, 4 Pasture-Raised Brown Eggs, 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar, 1/4 cup Raw Honey, 1 tsp Vanilla Extract, and 1/4 cup Almond Flour. Blend until smooth.
Then pour over your cooled shortbread layer. Tap the baking dish on the counter a few times to get rid of any bubbles. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Let it cool for a good 30 minutes. I’ll sometimes even place it in the freezer as it’s easier to cut into bars.
Optional to add some lemon slices for a pretty garnish and powdered sugar for decor!
Carefully lift up the parchment paper from your baking dish and slice up your lemon bars into 9 equal squares.
These are best eaten cold, straight out of the fridge for the perfect refreshing summer treat!
More Dessert Recipes
I am a lover of dessert and require something sweet after every meal. Which is why I have a plethora of other healthy dessert options just for you!
- Guilt-Free and Gluten-Free Vegan Twix Bites
- Fudgy Flourless Sweet Potato Brownies
- Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
- Vegan Peach Crumble Bars with Candied Pecans
How to Store Lemon Shortbread Bars?
The best way to store these lemon shortbread bars is either in the baking sheet you cooked the squares, covered with plastic wrap, or transfer to an airtight glass container. Store in the freezer for up to three months! But it definitely won’t last long!
Is the Shortbread Crust Gluten-Free?
Yes! The only flour in these mango lemon bars are almond and coconut flour. The perfect low carb and gluten-free option that also adds beautiful nutty notes to the crust.
Stuffed Crust Margherita Pizza
- 58 g Self Rising Flour (plus ~10g for kneading/dusting)
- 16 g Unflavored Protein Powder (Quest)
- 75 g Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Pinch of Salt
- Sprinkle Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 35 g Fat Free Mozzarella Block (cubed (H‑E‑B))
- 45 g Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 28 g Fat Free Shredded Mozzarella (H‑E‑B)
- Fresh Basil (chopped)
- Red Crushed Pepper
- Dough: Add all your ingredients to a large bowl. Start to mix with a spoon and then get in there with your hands. Add to the counter with some flour dusted and continue kneading until a dough forms. Roll it out into a circle.
- Add chunks of your cubed mozzarella around the edge and then fold in the edges. Add pasta sauce to the center and spread evenly. Then top with your shredded mozzarella.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 mins.
- Top with fresh basil and red crushed pepper. Cut into 4ths and enjoy!
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe.
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Measuring Scale
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 Baking Sheet or Pizza Stone
- 1 Toaster Oven
Save this recipe to your Pinterest Board and share it with your family and friends!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to tag @tishasveggieeats on Instagram and hashtag #tishasveggieeats!