Elevate Your Dinner Game
Elevate your weeknight dinner game with a dish that’s quick, flavorful, and packed with protein – our High-Protein Vegan Chicken Biryani. This delightful creation is a testament to the fact that plant-based meals can be every bit as satisfying and mouthwatering as their traditional counterparts. In under 20 minutes, you can indulge in the exotic aromas and tantalizing flavors of biryani, featuring a plant-based “chicken” that’s not only high in protein but also incredibly delicious.
Join me on this culinary adventure as we whip up a biryani that’s as quick to prepare as it is to disappear from your plate. Whether you’re a seasoned plant-based eater or simply looking to add more plant-powered dishes to your repertoire, this recipe is bound to become a household favorite.
So, let’s dive into the world of spices, herbs, and protein-packed goodness, and discover how easy it is to create a high-protein biryani that’s perfect for two servings.
Macros Per Serving
365 Calories | 51g Carbs | 4g Fat | 30g Protein
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Protein-Packed Plant-Based Delight: Enjoy a satisfying and protein-rich meal with the goodness of plant-based “chicken” cutlets.
- Quick and Easy Weeknight Wonder: In under 20 minutes, savor the exotic flavors of biryani without the lengthy preparation time.
- Macros that Matter: Each serving boasts a balanced nutritional profile – 365 calories, 51g carbs, 4g fat, and a whopping 30g of protein.
- Flavor Fusion: A symphony of spices, from chili powder to garam masala, creates an authentic biryani experience that’s both aromatic and delicious.
- Meal Prep Magic: Perfect for planning ahead, this biryani can be made in advance, ensuring a hassle-free and flavorful weeknight dinner.
- Vibrant Presentation: Impress your taste buds and your guests with a visually appealing biryani that’s as vibrant as it is delicious.
Key Ingredients for this Delicious Vegan Chicken Biryani
The heart of this Plant-Based Chicken Biryani lies in its carefully selected ingredients. From the savory “chicken” cutlets to the aromatic spices, each component plays a crucial role in making this dish a flavorful delight.
For the “Chicken” –
- Classic Cutlets: These plant-based cutlets are the star of the show, offering a savory and meaty texture that’s incredibly close to traditional chicken. They are not only high in protein but also provide a delightful umami flavor.
- Nonfat Dairy-Free Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt adds creaminess and a tangy element to the “chicken” marinade. It also boosts the protein content while keeping the dish low in fat.
- Protein Plant Milk: This plant milk helps thin out the yogurt mixture, creating a luscious and flavorful coating for the “chicken.”
- Salt & Pepper: Seasoning with salt and pepper is the foundation of any flavorful dish. Adjust the quantities to suit your personal taste.
- Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, Turmeric, Cumin, and Ginger: These aromatic spices infuse the “chicken” with a rich and complex flavor profile, reminiscent of traditional Biryani.
- Garam Masala: Garam masala is the magic ingredient that brings warmth and depth to the dish, creating that unmistakable Biryani aroma.
For the Rice –
- Olive Oil: A small amount of olive oil is used for sautéing, providing a healthy source of monounsaturated fats.
- Red Onion: Red onion contributes a mild sweetness and a touch of color to the rice.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic adds a robust, aromatic element to the dish.
- Tomato Purée: Tomato purée lends a delightful tanginess and a vibrant red hue to the rice.
- Mushroom Broth: Mushroom broth complements the earthy flavors of the “chicken” and the spices while keeping the dish vegetarian.
- Frozen White Rice: Precooked white rice makes this dish quick and convenient. Two of my favorite things!
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables: These add both color and nutrition, making the biryani a balanced and wholesome meal.
To Top –
- Fresh Cilantro: Fresh cilantro, with its bright and citrusy notes, is the perfect finishing touch for your Chicken Biryani, adding a burst of flavor and a lovely garnish.
Customization is key and you’ll find that there’s always room for flexibility, allowing you to tailor this recipe to your taste and dietary preferences. Discover some exciting substitution options that can make your biryani uniquely yours.
- Protein Source: If you prefer, you can replace the plant-based “chicken” with other alternatives like tofu, seitan, or tempeh to create your own unique twist on this classic dish.
- Yogurt and Milk: To make this recipe entirely dairy-free, use your favorite plant-based yogurt and milk. Options like almond, soy, or oat milk work well.
- Spices: Feel free to adjust the spice levels to your liking. You can increase or decrease the quantity of chili powder and other spices to suit your preference for heat and flavor.
**If there is a sub I haven’t mentioned above, it’s because I have not tested it and can’t speak for how well it would work for this recipe.
Equipment and Tools
In addition to the ingredients, you’ll need a few essential kitchen tools and equipment:
- Medium Pan: You’ll use this pan to cook the marinated “chicken” until it achieves a beautiful golden color, infusing it with spices and yogurt.
- Larger Pan: The larger pan is where you’ll sauté the onions and garlic, and combine the rice, vegetables, and cooked “chicken” to create the final biryani.
- Bowl: You’ll need a bowl to mix the yogurt, plant milk, and spices to create the marinade for the “chicken.”
- Measuring Scale: I prefer to use a scale to weigh out all the larger ingredients for a more precise measurement.
- Cutting Board: To slice the red onion and mince the garlic.
How to Make Your High-Protein Vegan Chicken Biryani
Creating this high-protein plant-based “chicken” biryani is a step-by-step process. Let’s break it down into subsections for a more detailed guide:
Marinate the “Chicken”
Start by breaking the “chicken” cutlets into small, bite-sized pieces and place them in a mixing bowl.
Add the nonfat Greek yogurt, protein plant milk, and an array of spices: salt, pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika, turmeric, cumin, ginger, and garam masala.
Thoroughly mix all these ingredients together to create a flavorful and aromatic marinade. Ensure that the “chicken” pieces are well-coated with this mixture.
Cook the Marinated “Chicken”
In a medium-sized pan, heat a bit of olive oil or use olive oil spray. Add the marinated “chicken” to the pan and let it cook. Cook each side for approximately 6-8 minutes until the “chicken” turns a beautiful golden yellow.
This cooking process infuses the “chicken” with the flavors from the spices and yogurt, creating a delightful texture and taste.
Prepare the Biryani Base
In a larger pan, add a small amount of olive oil and heat it over medium heat. Add the sliced red onions and minced garlic to the pan. Sauté them for about 5-6 minutes, or until the onions become soft and translucent. This step provides a rich aromatic base for your biryani.
Now, introduce the tomato purée and mushroom broth to the pan. Stir well to combine these ingredients and create a flavorful sauce for the biryani.
Combine the Ingredients
Add the frozen white rice and mixed vegetables to the pan. Ensure that everything is well-mixed with the sauce and onions. The frozen rice and vegetables make this dish quick and convenient.
Gently introduce the cooked “chicken” to the mixture, combining all the components into a harmonious whole. This step brings together the savory “chicken” and the aromatic rice and vegetable mixture.
Garnish and Serve
Once all the ingredients are combined, finish your high-protein plant-based “chicken” biryani by topping it with freshly chopped cilantro. This fresh herb adds a burst of flavor and a lovely garnish to your dish.
Now that your biryani is complete, you’re ready to serve it in two equally satisfying servings. This detailed guide ensures that you achieve the perfect balance of flavors and textures in your high-protein “chicken” biryani. Enjoy every mouthful of this delicious and nutritious meal!
Tips and Tricks
- Caramelization is Key: Achieve a golden yellow color on the “chicken” by allowing it to cook undisturbed for 6-8 minutes on each side. This caramelization adds depth to the overall flavor.
- Layered Flavors: Sauteing the onions and garlic creates a flavorful base for the biryani. Take your time with this step to ensure the aromatic essence infuses into every bite.
- Meal Prep with Confidence: This biryani is an excellent candidate for meal prepping. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and when reheating, add a splash of water to maintain its moisture.
- Mushroom Broth Magic: The mushroom broth complements the dish perfectly. If you don’t have it on hand, vegetable broth is a suitable substitute.
- Presentation Matters: Impress your guests or elevate your solo dining experience by taking a moment for presentation. A sprinkle of fresh herbs on top not only adds flavor but visual appeal as well.
- Refrigeration: Allow any leftovers to cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Place the biryani in an airtight container to retain its freshness.
- Reheating: When ready to enjoy your leftovers, reheat the biryani in a microwave-safe dish or on the stovetop. Adding a splash of water before reheating can help maintain moisture.
- Freezing: While this dish can be refrigerated for a few days, for longer storage, consider freezing it. Freeze individual portions in freezer-safe containers or resealable bags.
- Defrosting: If frozen, thaw the biryani overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. This ensures even reheating and maintains the dish’s integrity.
- Enjoy Freshness: For the best taste and texture, try to consume refrigerated leftovers within 3-4 days and frozen portions within 1-2 months.
By following these storage instructions, you can ensure that your High Protein Plant-Based “Chicken” Biryani remains just as flavorful and satisfying as when it was first prepared.
More Lunch/Dinner Recipes
If you loved this dish, then you are sure to LOVE these recipes as well! Or if something about this recipe doesn’t excite you, I’m sure one of these will.
- High-Protein Teriyaki Wild Rice Power Bowl
- Spicy Sesame Vegan Beef Veggie Stir Fry
- Veggie Quinoa Fried Rice
- Sticky Orange Cashew Tofu + Coconut Rice
As you embark on your journey to create and enjoy our Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal Meal Prep, you might have some questions. We’re here to provide you with answers to common queries that could arise:
Can I use a different type of plant-based meat for this recipe?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with various plant-based protein options to suit your preferences.
Can I use brown rice instead of white rice for a healthier option?
Yes, you can substitute brown rice for white rice. Brown rice adds more fiber and nutrients to the dish, making it a nutritious alternative. However, be mindful that brown rice may require longer cooking time and more liquid.
Can I make this dish spicy, or is it mild in flavor?
The level of spiciness in your High Protein Plant-Based Chicken Biryani is entirely customizable. You can increase the chili powder or add some red pepper flakes for extra heat if you enjoy a spicier kick. Conversely, you can reduce or omit the spices for a milder version. Make it as fiery or as mild as your taste buds desire.
Enjoy this quick and easy high-protein vegan chicken biryani, which not only satisfies your taste buds but also helps you meet your protein goals. Whether you’re meal-prepping for the week or looking for a delicious dinner option, this recipe is a winner. Give it a try and let your taste buds dance with delight!
High-Protein Vegan Chicken Biryani
- 243 g (2 pieces) Classic Cutlets (Meati Foods)
- 85 g Nonfat Greek Yogurt (Siggi’s)
- 1-2 tbsp Protein Plant Milk (Good Karma)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- ½ tsp Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, Turmeric, Cumin, Ginger
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- ¼ small Red Onion (sliced)
- 1-2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup Tomato Purée
- ¼ cup Mushroom Broth
- 180 g Frozen White Rice
- 170 g Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- Break your cutlets into small pieces and add to a bowl. Add in the yogurt, milk to thin it out, and spices. Mix well together and add to a medium pan with some olive oil spray. Let it sit and cook on each side for 6-8 mins until golden yellow.
- In another larger pan, add in your olive oil, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 5-6 mins until onions are soft. Then add in your tomato purée and mushroom broth.
- Then add in your frozen rice and veggies. Mix everything together well before adding in the cooked “chicken”.
- Mix everything together and top with fresh cilantro. Serve into two servings!
The Nutrition Facts above are specific to the ingredients I chose to use for this recipe.
Save this recipe to your Pinterest Board and share it with your family and friends!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to tag @tishasveggieeats on Instagram and hashtag #tishasveggieeats!